Earth Day is tomorrow and you may be asking yourself, “how can I go green?” The answer is below! The World Watch Institute, an environmental research and advocacy organization has compiled a list of 10 easy tips to live a more sustainable way of life. (via)
1. To save on heating and air conditioning costs, set your thermostat a few degrees lower in the winter and a few degrees higher in the summer.
2. When your old incandescent bulbs burn out, install compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs).
3. Take shorter showers. This will reduce water use and your water and heating bills as well.
4. Get a low-flow showerhead. They are inexpensive and will also create higher water and energy savings.
5. Buy locally raised, humane and organic meat, eggs and dairy from farmers in your community as much as possible to keep money in your own economy.
6. Instead of buying bottled water, use a water filter to purify tap water. Bottled water can be expensive and generates large amounts of container waste.
7. To make effective, non-toxic cleaning products instantly, all you need are a few simple ingredients like baking soda, vinegar, lemon and soap. Try it!
8. Walk, bike or carpool to work. This will improve traffic, save gas and lower parking costs. But most importantly, it can improve your cardiovascular health while reducing your risk of obesity.
9. When you make a purchase, you should understand that the “good stuff” is eco-friendly stuff. Here are some great finds from the Foundary: eco-friendly slipper boots, an eco-friendly bamboo soap dispenser and Earth Pan eco-friendly cooking pans.